Does your business own a rental property?

If you own residential rental property, you are only able to claim deductions for travel expenses relating to inspecting, maintaining, or collecting rent from the property if you are carrying on a rental property business or the property is owned by an excluded entity (eg a company).

The law changed on 1 July 2017 to restrict when travel expenses associated with rental properties could be claimed. If you haven’t yet lodged your 2018 income tax return for your business, check with your tax adviser whether you are eligible to claim these travel expenses.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation

Newsletter Archives

Client Information Archives

business news July 2019 Business newsletter - November 2019 Business Newsletter - September 2019 car expenses motor vehicle expenses single touch payroll small business Small Business - March newsletter Special Budget Edition 2019-20 vehicle expenses